Job Profile of Aeronautical Engineers
Aeronautical Engineers work in the design, research and production of aircraft, aerospace equipment, spacecraft, satellites and missiles.
The tasks of these engineers include research and development work of aircraft and missiles, testing, work related to parts assembly and maintenance work. Some aeronautic engineers specialize in the study of the effects of aircraft on the environment, the potential risks of new aircraft technologies, and fuel efficiency issues. Under aeronautical engineering, one can also focus on designing aircraft systems and this work is also known as avionics.
Aeronautical Engineers also work in the development and design of supersonic jets, helicopters, space shuttles, satellites and extraordinary technologies related to rocket search and selection.
Leading Institutes in India for Aeronautical Engineering
- Guru Gram Institute of Aeronautical Engineering and Technology, Gurgaon
- Engineers Training Center (ETC), Thrissur
- Guru Gram Institute of Aeronautical Engineering and Technology, Nagpur
- Adhyaman College of Engineering, Hosur
- Guru Nanak Engineering College, Hyderabad
- Flytech Aviation Academy, Secunderabad
- Hindustan University, Kelambakkam (Tamil Nadu)
- Indian Institute of Aeronautical Engineering, Dehradun
- Hindustan Institute of Technology, Coimbatore (Tamil Nadu)
- Indian Institute for Aeronautical Engineering and Information Technology, Pune (Maharashtra)
- Hindustan College of Engineering and Technology (HICET), Coimbatore
- Hindustan Institute of Engineering Technology (HIET), Chennai
- Institute of Aeronautical and Marine Engineering, Bangalore (Karnataka)
- Bharat Institute of Engineering and Technology (BIET), Hyderabad
- Jain University, Bangalore (Karnataka)
- Karpagam Institute of Technology, Coimbatore
- Kumaraguru College of Technology, Coimbatore
- MLR Institute and Technology, Hyderabad
- Jaya Engineering College, Tiruvallur
- MVJ Engineering College, Bangalore
- MNR College of Engineering, Hyderabad
- Mohd Sethak Engineering College, Ramanathapuram
- Manipal Institute of Technology, Manipal
- Nehru Institute of Engineering and Technology (NIET), Coimbatore
- Nehru College of Engineering and Research Centre, Thrissur
- Punjab Engineering College, Chandigarh
- Park College of Engineering and Technology, Coimbatore
- Sai Flytech Aviation Private Limited, Bilaspur
- School of Aeronautics, Dwarka (Gujarat)
- Siddhartha Institute of Aeronautical Engineering and Information Technology, Bangalore (Karnataka)
- Sathyabama University, Chennai (Tamil Nadu)
- RVS (Ratnavel Subrahmanyam) College of Engineering and Technology
- Tagore Engineering College (TEC), Chennai
- Well Tech Engineering College, Chennai (Tamil Nadu)
- Rajasthan Institute of Technology and Engineering Science, Kota
- Institute of Information Technology and Management Aeronautical Engineering Training Academy, Pune (Maharashtra)
- Indian Institute of Science (IIS), Bangalore
- VSM Institute of Aerospace Engineering and Technology, Bangalore
- Hindustan institute of engineering technology
- IIT (Indian Institute of Technology), Mumbai
- Institute of Information Technology and Management’s Aeronautical Engineering Training Academy, Pune
Exam Pattern for Test of B.Tech Program
For graduation level courses, questions are asked from the following subjects in the test:
The questions asked are of objective type and students have to choose the correct answer from the 4 options given with each question. The duration of this exam is 3 hours.
Jobs Available for Aeronautical Engineers in India
We now have the knowledge that Aeronautical Engineers are involved in the design, development and maintenance of aircraft to ensure a high level of technical precision and safe operations. They work closely with Aircraft Maintenance Engineers and Flight Maintenance Teams. In India, the following government organizations provide jobs to most of the Aeronautical Engineers:
- civil aviation department
- government owned air services
- National Aeronautical Laboratory
- Defense Research and Development Laboratories (DRDO) and
- Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL)
- ISRO (Indian Space Research Organization)
- Ministry of Defence, Government of India
Apart from the above mentioned government organizations, Aeronautical Engineers can start their career in many sectors. These sectors are:
- flying clubs
- private airlines
- Aeronautical Development Establishments
- aircraft manufacturers
- Aeronautical Laboratories
- Some jobs are also offered by international government agencies such as NASA. Many of the engineers and technical professionals working in NASA are Indians. There are also many job opportunities available for Aeronautical Engineers in countries like USA, France, UK and Germany.
Introduction to Aeronautical Engineering
Aeronautical engineering includes the techniques of operating aircraft and the study, design and maintenance of flight-capable machines. Under this course, engineering students and young professionals are given specialized training in the construction, designing, testing and analysis of commercial or military aircraft, missiles and spacecraft. Aeronautic engineering also includes propulsion, materials science, avionics and aerodynamics. Similarly, aeronautical engineering also includes the study of the development of new technologies in commercial aviation, defense systems, and space exploration.
Educational Qualifications Required for Aeronautical Engineering
Students who want to make a career as an aeronautical engineer are advised to start preparing for their career in advance with full focus in science and mathematics from their high school days. Students who have successfully passed 12th class with PCM/PCB subjects or have similar qualification can apply for entrance exam for Aeronautical Engineering under B.Tech course. You need at least 60% marks for most of the entrance exams.
Students who are appearing for class 12th exam can also apply for the test, but those students will have to submit their qualifying certificates at the time of admission.
Only those students whose age is between 17 to 25 years can apply for the tests. There is an age relaxation of 5 years for the reserved categories candidates.
For M.Tech courses, candidates must have a B.Tech degree with minimum pass percentage in aggregate in all subjects at the degree level.
Some colleges and universities offer cooperative programs or internship opportunities that provide students with working experience until the completion of their degree programs. No license is required for entry-level engineering positions; However, for higher level positions, engineers must have a license as professional engineers.
List of Entrance Exams in Aeronautical Engineering in India
Entrance Exams for Graduate Level (BE/B.Tech)
- JEE Main
- JEE Advanced
- Amity JEE
- GATE – Post Graduation Level