Various courses in chemical engineering in India
The recent developments in the field of chemical engineering have led to the development of many other advanced fields such as nanotechnology, bio-engineering, bio-molecular engineering, material processing, etc. In view of the increasing importance of this field in our daily life, nowadays chemical engineering courses are being preferred by the students. The following courses are being offered in chemical engineering at various levels:
Diploma Courses – This course offers a Polytechnic Diploma in Chemical Engineering to the students. The duration or duration of this course is 3 years.
Undergraduate Courses – This course offers students a B.Tech (Bachelor of Technology) degree in Chemical Engineering. It is a course of 4 years duration.
Postgraduate Courses – This course offers MTech (Master of Technology) degree in Chemical Engineering to the students. It is a course of 2 years duration.
Doctoral Courses – This is a research based course for obtaining Doctoral degree or PhD (Degree of Doctor of Philosophy) in Chemical Engineering.
Some universities and colleges also offer integrated degree programs i.e. MTech (Master of Technology) degree in chemical engineering. The duration of these courses is 5 years and students can join these courses after completing 12th class.
About chemical engineering
Chemical engineering is a field that deals with the development of chemical processes to convert raw materials into useful products, as well as all the work related to the designing and maintenance of chemical plants. This field combines the knowledge and theoretical aspects of chemistry and engineering for research in various fields like biotechnology, nanotechnology, mineral processing, synthetic fibers, petroleum refining plants.
Job profile of chemical engineers
The main job of a chemical engineer is related to the designing, supervision, construction, installation and operation of chemical plants and equipment to manufacture chemical products. These professionals work related to research and development activities in bio-tech firms to discover new drugs. Similarly, these professionals also work in the fields of Petroleum Refining, Fertilizer Technology, Food Processing, Paints & Dyes, Recycling Metals, Cosmetics, Mineral Based Industries.
Major Topics of Chemical Engineering
Some of the main subjects covered in Chemical Engineering are as follows:
- air pollution control engineering
- Chemical Engineering Economics and Plant Design
- Chemical Process Industries
- chemical reaction engineering
- Environmental Pollution Control and Safety Management
- Fertilizer Technology
- Fundamentals of Heat and Mass Transfer
- Instrumentation and Process Control
- Introduction of Electrical and Electronics Circuits
- Introduction of Numerical Analysis
Admission process for various courses of chemical engineering in India
There are many indigenous chemical industries in India. Nowadays many multinational companies are also being established in India. Due to this trend, there are many opportunities for the students in the field of chemical engineering. This field is one of the broadest fields of engineering for the purpose of research and development. Due to the many industries providing job opportunities to Chemical Engineers, many students are taking interest in this field. Therefore, many universities and colleges have included this course in their academic programs as well.
Career prospects for chemical engineers in india
Chemical Engineers are commonly called ‘Universal Engineers’ for having a lot of knowledge in the fields of engineering and chemistry. Their work mainly consists of converting natural and waste materials into useful and less harmful chemical products. Due to the good educational background of these people, these people can work in various industries such as, Oil and Gas Industries, Food Industries, Energy Industries, Chemical and Allied Products, Utility Companies, Pharmaceuticals, Government Departments etc.
Eligibility Criteria for Leading Engineering Courses in India
- Diploma Courses – Students can do this course after passing 10th class exam from a recognized education board. The student must have passed the main subjects like Science, Mathematics and English in class 12th.
- Undergraduate Courses – To take admission in the UG program, the student has to give suitable entrance exams. Apart from this, the student must have passed 12th class with main subjects like Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics etc. Students must also appear for various entrance exams conducted by state, central and private universities.
- Post Graduate Courses – To take admission in PG programmes, the student must have a Bachelor of Engineering degree in the relevant subject from a recognized university. The student must have secured good marks in the appropriate entrance examinations also.
- Doctoral Courses – To take admission in the doctoral programme, the student must have a Post Graduation degree in any allied subject i.e. MTech degree in Chemical Engineering from a recognized university.
- top institutes for chemical engineering in india
- The ‘Indian Institute of Technologies’ ie IIT’s are considered as the best colleges for doing engineering courses in India. According to the NIRF Ranking Year 2018, the following are the top 10 UGC approved engineering colleges in India:
- Indian Institute of Technology Madras, Madras
- Indian Institute of Technology Bombay, Bombay
- Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur, Kharagpur
- Indian Institute of Technology Delhi, Delhi
- Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur, Kanpur
- Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee, Roorkee
- Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati, Guwahati
- Anna University, Chennai
- Jadavpur University, Kolkata
- Indian Institute of Technology Hyderabad, Hyderabad
- Chemical Engineers in India Apply to these leading recruiters
- Following are some of the well-known recruiters for Chemical Engineers:
- Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Limited (HPCL)
- Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited (BPCL)
- Indian Oil Corporation Limited
- GAIL Limited
- HLL Lifecare Limited
- private companies
- Piramal Healthcare Limited
- Ranbaxy Laboratories Limited
- Pfizer Inc.
- Entrance Exams for Chemical Engineering Courses in India
- Entrance exams are conducted at national, state and university level for taking admission in various engineering disciplines. To take admission in Chemical Engineering, students can take the following popular exams:
- Joint Entrance Exam – Main (JEE Main)
- Joint Entrance Exam – Advanced (JEE Advanced)
- VIT Engineering Entrance Exam (VITEEE)
- Birla Institute of Technology and Science Admission Test (BITSAT)
- VIT University Master’s Entrance Exam (VITMEE)
- Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE)
- Birla Institute of Technology and Science Higher Degree Exam (BITS HD)
Sub-specializations of Chemical Engineering
Following are some of the popular sub-specializations offered in chemical engineering:
- Biomedical Engineering – This field applies the principles and concepts of engineering to the fields of biology and health care. Bioengineers often work with doctors, therapists, and researchers to develop systems, equipment, and devices to solve medical problems.
- Process Engineering – Process Engineering focuses on the design, operation, control, optimization and intensification of chemical, physical and biological processes. Process engineering includes many industries such as, chemical, petrochemical, agriculture, mineral processing, advanced materials, food, pharmaceutical, software development, automotive and biotechnological industries.
- Food Processing – This field involves the study of techniques used to convert raw materials into useful food products. It also performs functions related to preserving, preserving, as well as improving the methods of processing operations and exploring new ways. Under this field, all subjects like quality control procedures related to food products, food adulteration, controlling the nutritional value of food products are included.
- Electrochemical – This field deals with electrochemical phenomena such as electrosynthesis of chemicals, electrowinning, electrochemical separations and application of corrosion.
- Polymers – The field of polymer engineering deals with the development and testing of plastics or related equipment and processes.
Major Career Options for Chemical Engineers
Architectural and Engineering Managers – The job of Architectural and Engineering Managers is to plan, direct and coordinate various tasks that take place in architectural and engineering companies.
Biomedical Engineers – This field combines engineering principles with medical sciences to design and manufacture equipment, computer software, computer systems, etc. to be used in the healthcare industries.
Chemical Technicians – These people use specialized instruments and techniques to help chemists and chemical researchers work to develop, produce, and test chemical products and processes.
Chemical Materials Scientists – Chemical materials scientists study substances at the atomic and molecular levels to analyze the ways in which substances interact with each other. They use their knowledge to create new products as well as check the quality of manufactured goods.
Nuclear Engineers – Nuclear Engineers work in the research and development of systems, instruments and processes used to derive benefits from nuclear energy and radiation. For example, work related to equipment used for medical diagnosis and treatment.