Introduction to Computer Science Engineering
Computer Science Engineering (CSE) is one of the most popular courses among engineering students and young engineers in India these days. Under this course, the basic elements of computer programming and networking are studied. Students doing computer science engineering are also taught about the designing, implementation and management of information systems in relation to hardware and software. They are also taught the theory of computation and the design of computational systems. Computer Science Engineering is also related to Electrical Engineering, Mathematics and Linguistics.
Main Functions of Computer Science Engineer
These professionals can work in different fields according to their career interests and specialization. If you have done specialization in software then your work will mainly include all the work related to designing and developing software applications for various industries. Similarly, you will also create codes and algorithms for operating systems such as Windows.
As a Hardware Specialist, you will be involved in the design and development of hardware components for PCs and Laptops. Computer Engineers also manage various software, hardware and networking tasks within an industry. You can also work as a software developer for other peripheral computing devices including printers, modems, scanners.
various courses in computer science in india
Almost all colleges and universities all over the world offer a variety of courses in computer science engineering. The academic criteria for computer science courses can be divided into three major categories: diploma courses, undergraduate courses, and postgraduate courses. Let’s read further:
- Diploma Courses – These courses are affiliated to Polytechnic Diploma and the duration or duration of these courses is 3 years.
- Undergraduate Courses – On completing the undergraduate level course, you get the degree of Bachelor of Technology ie B.Tech in Computer Engineering and the duration of this course is 4 years.
- Postgraduate Courses – These are master level courses which after successful completion leads to the degree of Master of Technology ie MTech in Computer Science Engineering and the duration of these courses is 2 years.
Following are some of the core subjects in various courses in Computer Science Engineering:
|Cloud Computing||Computer architecture and organization||Computer networks||Data base management systems||Operating systems|
|compiler designing||Data Structures and Algorithms||Design and Analysis of Algorithms||distributed computing systems||software testing|
Admission Process and Eligibility Criteria for Computer Science Engineering Courses in India
Admission to most computer science engineering courses is done through entrance exams. These exams are conducted by the concerned authorities at the national, state and university level. However, to appear in these entrance exams, you must first qualify the eligibility criteria required for various courses in computer science engineering.
To pursue any of the Diploma, Undergraduate courses or Postgraduate courses in Computer Science Engineering, students must have a strong background in Mathematics and Science subjects. Following are the eligibility criteria for various computer science engineering courses –
Diploma Courses – Candidate must have passed 10th class examination from a recognized education board.
Undergraduate Courses – Candidate must have passed 10+2 examination with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics as main subjects from a recognized Board. The student must also have obtained minimum qualifying aggregate marks in all subjects.
Postgraduate Courses – The candidate must have a B.Tech degree with minimum pass percentage in all the subjects studied at the undergraduate course level.
Entrance Exams for Computer Science Courses in India
For taking admission in B.Tech courses, the most popular and widely recognized entrance exam is the JEE Mains exam. It is a national level common entrance exam conducted by CBSE boards for taking admissions in B.Tech programs across the country. Similarly, if you want to take admission in MTech courses then you have to clear GATE exam. Some other famous entrance exams for computer science engineering courses are as follows:
Undergraduate level entrance exams
national level exams
JEE Mains – Common entrance exam for taking admission in most of the engineering colleges across India.
JEE Advanced – This exam has to be passed to take admission in well-known IITs. JEE Advanced exam is one of the toughest engineering exams in the country.
university level exams
Birla Institute of Technology and Science Admission Test (BITSAT) – It is the most popular engineering exam after JEE. BITSAT is considered as tough as JEE Advanced Entrance Exam. Students have to clear this exam to get admission in BITS campuses in Pilani, Goa and Hyderabad.
VIT Engineering Entrance Exam (VITEE) is conducted by Vellore Institute of Technology for admission to various engineering courses offered by it. This college is one of the best private engineering colleges in India.
Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE)-GATE is a must to clear for taking admission in various MTech courses offered by Indian Institute of Technology.
Birla Institute of Technology and Science Higher Degree Exam (BITS HD)-BITS HD Exam is a must to clear for taking admission in various higher degree programs offered by Birla Institute of Technology and Science (BITS) at Pilani, Goa and Hyderabad campuses .
UPES MTech Engineering Entrance Exam (UPES MEET) – This exam is conducted by the University of Petroleum and Energy Studies for admission to its MTech programmes.
VITMEE (VIT Masters Entrance Exam) – This entrance exam is conducted by Vellore Institute of Technology (VIT) University for admission to its master’s programs.
Top Indian Computer Science Engineering Institutes
Following are the top 10 institutes of computer science engineering in India:
- Indian Institute of Technology Madras, Madras
- Indian Institute of Technology Bombay, Bombay
- Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur, Kharagpur
- Indian Institute of Technology Delhi, Delhi
- Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur, Kanpur
- Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee, Roorkee
- Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati, Guwahati
- Anna University, Chennai
- Jadavpur University, Kolkata
- Indian Institute of Technology Hyderabad, Hyderabad
- Future prospects for Indian engineering students
- The future prospects of students doing any course in the field of computer science engineering are excellent. Some of the important reasons for the growing influence of computer science engineering are as follows:
- The world we are living in nowadays depends entirely on technological advancement. Without these technological advancements we cannot even imagine the future nowadays. New technologies are being developed daily.
- The growing number of software companies and IT hubs all over the world clearly shows that the technological sector is developing very fast. Due to this development in the industry, the demand for the best CSE experts is increasing continuously.
- Major Career Options for Computer Science Engineers in India
- There are many job opportunities in computer science engineering. You can easily find lucrative career opportunities in Database Management, Embedded Systems, IT, Telecommunications, Multimedia, Computer Hardware and Software Implementation, Gaming, Web Designing, Computer Hardware and Software Maintenance and other allied industries after completing your graduation. .
- Software Developers: These professionals are involved in various activities of software development process such as designing, coding, programming, project management etc.
- Hardware Engineers: As a hardware engineer, you have to do research, development, testing, overseeing and installation work related to computer hardware in various industries.
- System Analyst: As a Systems Analyst, your job will include research related to existing programs and problem solving. You will be required to provide solutions for software and system related problems and also work to establish coordination among business development teams.
- Networking Engineers: As a networking engineer, you will mainly be involved in designing, implementing and troubleshooting computer networks.
- Database Administrators: As a database administrator or a DBA, your job will be to design, implement, maintain and repair the database of an organization. In some IT sectors database administrators are also known as database coordinators or database programmers.
- Other great career options after doing this course are Professor, Computer Programmer, System Designer, Software Engineer, Software Developer, Software Tester, Mobile App Developer, IT Administrator, E-Commerce Specialist, Data Warehouse Analyst etc.
Apply for Jobs in these leading Firms in Computer Science Engineers in India
- Sun Microsystems
- Tech Mahindra
Salary package for computer engineer in india
Computer Science Engineering is one such field which offers the highest salary package to the students. As a fresher, you can expect 2 lakh per annum to 3 lakh per annum salary package at the beginning of your career in India. However, if you are lucky enough and get a job in a country outside India, then you can get salary in 6 digits. The salary offered to you mainly depends on your prospects.