Electrical and Electronics Engineering courses and duration
The field of electrical and electronics engineering is fast becoming a popular engineering career option among students. The Academic Criteria for Electrical and Electronics Engineering is broadly divided into the following four courses/programs:
Diploma Courses – This course offers a polytechnic diploma in electrical and electronics engineering to the students and you can do this course after passing 10th and 12th class. The duration or duration of this course is 3 years.
Undergraduate Courses – This is a 4-year duration course, on completion of which you get a B.Tech (Bachelor of Technology) degree in Electrical and Electronics Engineering. You can do this course after passing 12th class.
Postgraduate Courses – This is a 2 year duration course which offers MTech (Master of Technology) post graduation degree in Electrical and Electronics Engineering. Before taking admission in this course, you must have an undergraduate degree in the appropriate field.
Doctoral Courses – This is a 3 year duration course for obtaining Doctoral Degree or PhD (Degree of Doctor of Philosophy) in Electrical & Electronics Engineering. To do this course, students should have a post-graduation degree in a suitable subject.
Top Recruiters in India Offering Great Job Opportunities
Some of the well-known organizations recruiting Electrical and Electronics Engineers are:
- Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited (BHEL)
- Power Grid Corporation of India Limited (PGCIL)
- Steel Authority of India Limited (SAIL)
- Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO)
- National Thermal Power Corporation Limited (NTPC)
- State Electricity Board
- Tata Motors
- Tata Steel & Power Limited
- L&T Construction & Steel
- Zenith Construction
- Jindal Steel & Power Limited
- omega elevator
Admission Process and Eligibility Criteria for Electrical and Electronics Engineering in India
Students can do many courses in electrical and electronics engineering. Although the most popular course among them is the 4-year undergraduate program and students can take admission in it after passing 12th. In addition, the following are the eligibility criteria for various courses in Electrical and Electronics Engineering:
Diploma Courses – The student has passed 10th class examination from a recognized education board.
Undergraduate Courses – To take admission in the UG program, the student has to give suitable entrance exams. Apart from this, the student must have passed 12th class with main subjects like Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics etc.
To take admission in Post Graduate Courses – PG Programs also the student has to pass the appropriate entrance examinations. The student should also have an undergraduate degree in the relevant subject from a recognized university.
Entrance Exams for Electrical and Electronics Engineering Courses in India
Entrance exams are conducted at national, state and university level for taking admission in various engineering disciplines. To take admission in Electrical and Electronics Engineering, students can take the following popular exams:
- Joint Entrance Exam – Main (JEE Main)
- Joint Entrance Exam – Advanced (JEE Advanced)
- Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE)
- VIT Engineering Entrance Exam (VITEE)
- VIT University Master’s Entrance Exam (VITMEE)
- Birla Institute of Technology and Science Higher Degree Exam (BITS HD)
- Birla Institute of Technology and Science Admission Test (BITSAT)
Career Scope of Electrical and Electronics Engineering in India
There are many good job opportunities and scopes for Electrical and Electronics Engineers. As an electrical and electronics engineer, you can work in industries that deal with product development, control systems, systems management, product design, sales, wireless communication, manufacturing, chemical, automotive and space research organizations. After getting a doctoral degree in this field, students can also work in the research field.
Major Sub-Subjects of Electrical and Electronics Engineering
There are many specializations in the field of electrical and electronics engineering and students after obtaining a bachelor’s degree can continue their studies for specialization in any one of these sub-disciplines to obtain higher degrees. Following are some of the most popular specializations in this field:
- signal processing
- computer Engineering
- power electronics
- embedded systems
- biomedical imaging
- Power Systems Engineering (including Renewable Energy)
- All you need to know about Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- Electrical and Electronics Engineering (EEE) provides students with essential knowledge about core engineering disciplines such as Communications, Control Systems, Signal Processing, Radio Frequency Design, Microprocessors, Fundamental Knowledge in Power Generation and their precise use.
Major Functions of Electrical and Electronics Engineer
The major tasks of Electrical and Electronics Engineers include all the work related to the designing and development of electrical equipment, electronic devices, mechatronics technologies, automation and control systems. These engineering students also work in designing circuits for electrically operated vehicles, computers, electronic memory storage devices, industrial robots, CNC machines. Similarly, Electrical and Electronics Engineers can also join jobs in Power Generation Transmission and Telecommunication Sectors.
Top Indian Electrical & Electronics Engineering Institutes
The 'Indian Institute of Technologies' ie IIT's are considered as the best colleges for doing engineering courses in India. As per NIRF Ranking Year 2018 also, following are the top 10 UGC approved engineering colleges in India:
- Indian Institute of Technology Madras, Madras
- Indian Institute of Technology Bombay, Bombay
- Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur, Kharagpur
- Indian Institute of Technology Delhi, Delhi
- Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur, Kanpur
- Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee, Roorkee
- Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati, Guwahati
- Anna University, Chennai
- Indian Institute of Technology Hyderabad, Hyderabad
- Jadavpur University, Kolkata
- career prospects for engineering students
The field of electrical and electronics engineering deals with the applications of electricity, electronics and electromagnetism. Students doing these courses can explore career options in various fields of engineering works, constructions, information technology. As an electrical and electronics engineer, you will design, develop and test electrical equipment, software and networking systems.
These are the major job profiles available for Electrical and Electronics Engineers in India
Following are some popular job profiles for students pursuing various courses in electrical and electronics engineering:
- chief engineer
- quality control engineer
- control and instrumentation engineer
- design Engineer
- electrical engineer
- broadcasting engineer
- Manufacturing Systems Engineer
- systems analyst
- electronics engineer
- IT consultant
- systems developer
- network Engineer
Main subjects of electrical and electronics engineering
Some of the main subjects included in the field of Electrical and Electronics Engineering are as follows:
- advanced digital signal processing
- communication systems
- control system analysis
- low noise amplifier
- power systems
- Signal Systems and Networks Analysis
- Electronic Devices And Circuits