OBC Non-Creamy Layer VS OBC creamy layer
India is a country where people are separated from different religions and castes. The caste system was very prevalent during colonial rule. This Government of India made two separate divisions of the OBC category; OBC non-creamy layer and OBC creamy layer. In this article, we have talked about the OBC category in India. Difference between OBC-NCL and OBC-CL, OBC certificate and OBC non-creamy layer eligibility criteria, income limit, required documents and how to apply for online /offline process.
Reserved Category- Other Backward Classes (OBC)
Division – Creamy layer and non-creamy layer (NCL)
Applicable reservation for 27% OBC
Concerned Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment, Govt. Of India
National Commission for Backward Classes
Central List of OBCs (State-wise)
What is the full form of OBC?
OBC stands for Other Backward Classes. OBC is a term used collectively by the Government of India to identify or classify educationally or socially disadvantaged and disadvantaged castes. Another backward class is an official classification done by the government. Other classifications include Scheduled Castes (SC) and Scheduled Tribes (ST). However schedule classes and scheduled tribes also enjoy the benefits presented to them by the government. The Other Backward Classes category has been divided into two categories namely Creamy Layer OBC and Non-Creamy Layer OBC by the Government of India.
What is the difference between OBC CL (Creamy Layer) and OBC -NCL (Non-Creamy Layer)
|OBC-CL – OBC creamy layer||OBC-NCL – OBC non-creamy layer|
|Income: Above 8 Lakh||Income: Below 8 Lakh|
|Family Income: Above 8 lakh when added together|
(Income from farming not to be included)
|Family Income: Below 8 lakh When the total of all family member income|
(Income from any farming sources are not included)
|Treated as equivalent to general category hence get few or no benefit in government scheme and examination.||Get Benefit in government released scheme and competitive examination.|
OBC Creamy Layer
Other backward class creamy layer is a category of OBC, the people under it are better off or rich. They are better than others belonging to the OBC category. The creamy layer OBCs are better educated. The creamy layer OBC has an annual income of over 8 lakh. There is no benefit of OBC creamy layer. They are treated in the same way as the general category candidates are treated.
OBC Non-Creamy Layer
If the total family income is less than 8 lakhs per year, the family is considered to be in the non-creamy OBC category. The same family will be given OBC non-creamy layer certificate. A person belonging to the non-creamy OBC category will be enjoying all the benefits as well as getting age relaxation in competitive examinations.
If anyone falls in the category of non-creamy OBC category, they will get a reservation while applying for government jobs or government posts. However, to avail of all these benefits, they have to obtain a certificate called OBC certificate. The certificate is valid in every state of India except Tamil Nadu. The validity of the certificate is for one year and starts from the very day of receiving it.
Non-eligibility of OBC certificate.
Some of the castes which fall under BC and MBC.
The parents are employed in services like IPS, IAS, and IFS under Group A.
Parents working under Group B and C of Central Government and
Parents working in Group 1 of the State Government.
The income of parents is more than 8 lakhs, they are not eligible to apply for this certificate.
OBC Non-Creamy Layer Eligibility
Non-creamy layers have certain eligibility criteria to ensure that a qualified and qualified candidate receives a certificate. Here are some points, which are seen as categorizing people when OBC falls into the category of non-creamy layer, or not.
OBC Non-Creamy Layer Income Range
Family and Family Support:
A person can apply for OBC certificate only if the family’s annual income is less than eight lakh rupees per year. If it exceeds the given figure, they will not get a non-creamy category certificate. (Income from agriculture / farming is not included)
Parents Joint Central Diversion:-If people alienated with parents are part of the Central Government or working under Group C and Group D category under the Central Government, then the person can apply for a non-creamy OBC certificate Is eligible for this.
EMPLOYEE UNDER CENTRAL GOVERNMENT: If a person is himself or herself a part of Central Government or is working under Group B category of Central Government, then that person is eligible to apply for OBC Non-creamy layer certificate. It should be noted that this is valid only when the person’s parents do not receive any income like a pension.
Unauthorized Government Job by Husband: If a woman’s husband is working under the Central Government, then she will be eligible to apply for every woman certificate provided her parents do not receive any kind of income.
Online method to apply for OBC certificate
- Only a few states offer an online mode of registration.
- If a person belongs to the state in which online mode is available, he can visit the Backward Classes Welfare Portal of the state.
- The person has to click on the link which shows “Apply online for caste certificate”.
- The person can either create an account in the portal themselves or start filling the online application form given within the site.
- After this, the person has to fill his details like contact details, address, personal details, and other necessary details.
- Verification must be done by the person of the details he has provided so far.
- After checking the details, the person can also submit the data along with the proof of the documents.
- After submission, the person will get an acknowledgment slip in addition to the application number.
- The person can print the slip or save it offline. The person needs to save the application number to save the application status.
- After verification, the person can download his caste certificate directly from the link or portal.
- An email or SMS will be generated upon completion of the process.
Offline method for obtaining OBC certificate
- To get a caste certificate or OBC certificate through offline mode, one has to visit his nearest tehsil office, SDM office, revenue office or bridge / CSC centers.
- The person will receive an application form for the caste certificate which he has to fill with correct details like contact information, address and other personal details.
- In the caste description section, a person has to fill in the caste details of your father. If the father is no more, then the person will need his or her other blood relative caste certificate or documents.
- According to the caste certificate the person gets, he has to tick the option of the caste for which that person is applying.
- If the person has changed the state or has moved from one state to another, it should also be specified in the form.
- A self-declaration part is to be signed and filled.
- Finally, the person will have to affix a passport size photograph and submit a local address and reference for further verification of the process.
- After that, the person has to submit the original application form with self-attested documents to the office.
- A person has to wait for 30 to 35 days to get a caste certificate.
You have to attach these certificates and documents when applying for OBC certificate
- Community certificate.
- school-leaving Certificate.
- Ration magazine.
- income certificate.
- The lower caste people suffered greatly due to these differences, as the upper-class people maintained a hierarchy. These people have been empowered by the Mandal Commission keeping in mind all the sufferings till now. In early 1979, Morarji Desai’s government selected Bindeshwari Prasad Mandal, directing India to “identify socially or educationally backward classes”. This commission proposed to give 27% reservation to OBCs resulting in 49% employment opportunities for them in public universities and public services.
Schemes and programs for OBC
The central government is running various scholarship schemes and welfare programs for OBCs in India. Take a look at some of these schemes
- Pre-matric scholarship for OBC students for studies
- Post Matric Scholarship to OBC Students
- National Fellowship for OBC Students
- Assistance for Skill Development of OBCs (NGO Scheme)
- Free coaching scheme
- Dr. of interest grant on educational loan for the foreign study of OBC students. Ambedkar Yojana
- By using the OBC certificate, you can avail of the above schemes.