WHAT IS CRIMINOLOGY COURSE
Criminology is the branch of science which deals with the crime and the prevention of crime. FORENSICS SCIENCE is only the part of criminology. Criminology is directly referring to the crime. It is one of the challenging fields.
The crime is increasing day by day in various countries. In India, the crime rate is very high. Criminology is the best career in such countries where crime is everywhere and several agencies, NGOs and other bureau has been working in this field.
“The Criminology is the science of evidences, collected with the help of science like chemistry, genetics or physiology for the reference of crime”.
On the other way, “the criminology is the study of individual or social crime”.
The criminology involves the study of crime, the reason that working the behind of the case, cause of crime, crime statistics, prevention of crime, criminal behavior, and evaluation of criminal justice agencies, penology, criminal career and desistance and sociology of law.
The courses in the field of criminology are offered in range of certificate to doctoral level programmes as per the following:
- Certificate Course (forensic Science)
- Diploma Course (Cyber Crime)
- Diploma Course (Forensic Science and Criminology)
- Diploma in Criminal Law (D.Crin)
- Diploma in Criminology & Penology
- Bachelor Degree Course (Forensic Science and Criminology)
- Masters Degree Course (Forensic Science and Criminology)
- Masters Degree Course (Forensic Science and Criminology Research)
- Master of Science (M.Sc) in Criminology
- Master of Arts (MA) in Criminology & Criminal Justice
- Master of Arts (MA) in Anti Terrorism Law
- Master of Legislative Law (LLM) in Criminal Law & Criminology
- Master of Legislative Law (LLM) in Crimes & Torts
- Master of Legislative Law (LLM) in Criminal Law
- Post Graduate Diploma Course (Forensic Science and Criminology)
Certificate courses run through the agencies against the crime for the duration of 6 months. A there are some universities in India which offer the diploma programme for the duration of 1 year and UG degree programme leading to the B.A degree and the B.sc degree in forensic science or criminology as one of the subjects.
Admission & Eligibility
To get the admission in this field you must have cleared the 12th examination with science subjects. You can apply for CLAT 2020 to get admission in law courses in various law colleges. For admission in B.A degree programme in criminology or cyber crime, a student had the art group in 12th can apply.
For admissions into master courses like MA or LLM, you should have completed a bachelor’s degree in the related field from any recognized college or institution.
There is a various entrance exams through which you can get admission in UG & PG programme. You can appear and many others.
Colleges offering admissions in Criminology courses are listed here:
- University of Pune
- Osmania University
- Gujarat University
- University of Madras
- Bundelkhand University
- Lok Nayak Jayaprakash Narayan National Institute of Criminology and Forensic Science
- Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University (GGSIPU)
- Vinayaka Institute of Management & Technology
Criminology is the emerging careers in India and the abroad, one, who has degree course or the doctoral course called as the criminologist. In India many of detective agencies are establishing and requiring the professionals in criminology.
There is a good job opportunity in the field of criminology. This field has various offers for the scientist, research assistant, criminologist, forensic scientist and an investigator.
Once you have completed course in this field, you can opt job in various areas such as Forensic Department, Police, Research area, Medical Hospitals, CBI, Court, FBI, Crime Laboratories, Private Hospitals, Colleges, Institutions, MNCs (legal matters), Prison Reforms Programs and many others.
You may be the professor in a college or the university or you may be the professional in legal study or the judiciary member. The job profiles in the field of criminology and forensic science are as the following:
- Private detectives
- Crime investigators
- Crime scene analyst
- Crime laboratory analyst
- F.B.I. agents
- Forensic surgeon
- Forensic engineer
- Police officers
- Crime intelligence analyst
- Community corrections coordinator
- Law reform researcher
- Regional crime prevention coordinator
- Consumer advocate
- Drug policy advisor
- Environment protection analyst
Skills Required to become a Criminologist
- Analytical Skills: You should have the ability to predict effective or solve complicated crime situations to produce well structured results.
- Data Collection: The collected data on the spot of crime should be informative and understanding. The way of collecting data should be organized and clean.
- Crime Techniques: You should follow the different techniques every time to analyze the data gathered from various sources in the crime places.
- Criminal Behaviour: It is very important to understand and have criminal behaviour knowledge. If one has full knowledge about criminal’s behaviour then you can easily understand the reasons of crimes.
- Good Public Speaking Skills: You have to build up this quality inside you to put your words forward in public places.
- Research Skills: First, you have to know the research techniques before investigating any case. Research is very important in every field of investigation.
- Knowledge of Computers: The knowledge of computers and internet is necessary nowadays. The all sources of collecting information and gathering are mostly done through internet.
Salary & Payscale
A criminologist can be a part of the government and private sector companies or the organization. The salary in government sector is fixed but in the private sector the salary is a matter of fluctuation. The salary depends on the skills of one and the case on which he/she is working.
The career is brighter in abroad than the India in the field of criminology. You may earn the handsome money to establish your own detective agency.
As a criminologist, you can earn around Rs. 3 to 4 lacs per year. With some good experience in this field you can earn attractive salary packages in both sectors.
The top sectors and organizations for the recruitment of criminologist are as the following:
- Government agencies against the crime
- State police
- Central police
- Private detective agencies
- Human rights agencies
Books and Study Materials
- Criminology for Dummies by Steven Briggs
- Student Handbook of Criminal Justice and Criminology by John Muncie & David Wilson
- Key Readings In Criminology by Tim Newburn
- The Oxford Handbook of Criminology Fifth Edition by Mike Maguire
- Criminology by Tim Newburn
- Criminology: A Reader by Yvonne Jewkes and Gayle Lether